Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Travel Icon: Audrey Hepburn

I don't know how  to justify posting photos of the lovely Audrey Hepburn on a travel blog. So I chose photos of her, where she appears to be out and about, traveling, or starring in a movie set in an stunning city

Audrey has made several places iconic because of her movies or the time she has spent there. There's Rome for example, where she lived for a bit of time with her second husband and son. And of course, Rome was  the setting of her enchanting movie, Roman Holiday, for which she won an Academy Award for best actress. 

She is also very much a patron of Paris -- she has famously said that  "Paris is always a good idea." The romantic comedy, Paris When It Sizzles, is set in the city of lights, and stars her and William Holden. 

Last, but definitely not the least, who can forget the timeless opening sequence of Breakfast At Tiffany's, where Audrey gazes at the famous jewelry store's display window on New York's Fifth Avenue, while munching on a bagel. 

So here's to Audrey Hepburn, to timeless fashion, and to lots and lots of traveling! As the theme song of Breakfast At Tiffany's goes, "There's such a lot of world, to see!"




"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." --A.H.



Here, Audrey is walking her Yorkshire Terrier, Mr. Famous in Trinita dei Monti in Rome. 



"I have to be alone very often. I'd be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That's how I refuel."  --A.H.



This photo is a "film still" from one of my favorite movies of hers, Roman Holiday. In this movie, she plays a princess who escapes her royal duties for a day of fun in Rome, with the handsome Gregory Peck. 



This is from the movie Paris When It Sizzles. She plays a secretary here, tasked to help William Golden type up his screenplay, with Paris as the beautiful backdrop. 


"The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years." -- A.H.


"There is more to sex appeal than just measurements. I don't need a bedroom to prove my womanliness. I can convey just as much sex appeal, picking apples off a tree or standing in the rain." --A.H. 


Pictured here with her Yorkie, Mr. Famous,  Audrey is about to board a plane from the Ciampino Airport in Rome.


In this photo, Audrey is talking to actor Anthony Perkins (remember the movie Psycho?) and producer Dino De Laurentiis on a flight to Taormina, Italy in 1962.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...